What do you do if the unthinkable happens?
• If you can get out, GET OUT!
• Make sure you have a clear path to exit the school safely
• Don’t take anything but a phone with you, just go!
• Keep going until you KNOW you are safe, don’t stop outside the school
• If you can’t run, hide
• Find a room to lock yourself in
• Close, lock and barricade the door with whatever you can
• Turn off TVs, lights, close blinds, and silence your cell phone
• Move to the HARD CORNER: the corner of the room on the same side as the door that can’t be seen into unless someone walked in
• Get behind something hard if possible, like a refrigerator, desk, cabinet, etc.
• Text 911: Give them your location, how many people are in the room with you, and any info you may know about the shooter.
• Be prepared to defend yourself. Any plan is better than no Plan. Any action is better than no action!
• Attackers aren’t expecting Resistance. Many will stop their attack at the sign of any opposition
• Use whatever improvised weapons may be available, fire extinguishers, chairs, scissors, etc.
Survival of an active shooter incident may very well depend on your ability to respond quickly and react appropriately to the threat. Remember…RUN, HIDE, FIGHT!
On February 14th, 2018, a 19-year-old former student opened fire on the staff and students at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, murdering 17 people and injuring 17 others. One of those killed was 18-year-old Meadow Pollack, who despite having already been shot multiple times, crawled across the hallway to shield another student before taking several more bullets.
Meadow’s courageous act inspired us at Byrna to provide products and education that could save lives during an active shooter event. As such, Byrna has created “Meadow’s Movement,” a non-profit organization committed to providing these products and education to those that need it most but may not be able to afford it.
10% of all proceeds from the purchases of Byrna Shield products will be utilized to provide Byrna Shield Backpack Armor to schools in the highest crime, and underfunded areas of the country.
If you would like to donate to Meadow’s Movement to provide life-saving ballistic backpack armor to the students who need it most, please visit us at: meadowsmovement.org